So imagine my pleasent surprise when I checked my cellphone for last nights 3 stars of the game only to find a text message from the Penguins, detailing the trade of goalie Dany Sabourin for Edmonton Oilers goaltender Mathieu Garon. Also going to the Oilers from the Pens is Ryan Stone and a second round draft pick in 2011.
I think this is a solid move. Garon was doing great last year until he got injured and missed the last of the season. From what I know of him this year he's kind of gotten lost in the shuffle with Dwayne Roloson, and a younger goalie. So maybe his numbers aren't up there as of now, but I think he'll be much more reliable in net than Sabu ever was. So cheers, Ray Shero and company.
So on and so forth...
Interesting article on TSN.com this morning on the effiiciency of the power play. Some interesting tidbits....
The overall leaders in power play production:
1. Nicklas Backstrom, C, Washington (31.2)
2. Brad Boyes, RW, St. Louis (30.8)
3. Jarome Iginla, RW, Calgary (30.1)
4. Todd White, C, Atlanta (30.1)
5. Teemu Selanne, RW, Anaheim (29.7)
6. Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Washington (29.2)
7. Evgeni Malkin, C, Pittsburgh (29.4)
8. Vyacheslav Kozlov, LW, Atlanta (28.3)
9. Patrick Kane, RW, Chicago (28.2)
10. Ryane Clowe, RW, San Jose (27.9)
11. Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim (26.7)
12. Mark Streit, D, N.Y. Islanders (26.3)
13. Thomas Vanek, LW, Buffalo (25.8)
14. Ilya Kovalchuk, LW, Atlanta (25.5)
15. Pavel Datsyuk, C, Detroit (25.2)
16. Mike Cammalleri, RW, Calgary (25.2)
17. Jeff Carter, C, Philadelphia (25.1)
18. Sidney Crosby, C, Pittsburgh (24.7)
The player's power play production is then measured on a per-60-minute basis to show who is most productive based on their ice time with the man advantage. The results are all based on players that have scored a minimum of five power play points this season.
The Most Efficient Power Play Performers on the Penguins? Petr Sykora at 8.76 and Evgeni Malkin at 6.98 And the least? Jordon Staal at 3.12. And listed in the catagory as 'guys who get big power play minutes yet are not efficient? Sidney Crosby at 6.25.
Vote on some interesting hockey related polls over at The Hockey News. HERE. They just recently added, 'who faired better in the Garon/Sabourin trade'.
And to stick (sort of) with the goalie theme here is a 'fun' little YouTube clip.