Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It just has to make you laugh

But hey... I called it!

I'm not usually one to rub someones nose in it after I've been proven right, and had I not gotten this comment to one of my blog posts, everything probably would have went along unnoticed by me or anyone else for that matter. But seeing as how this is MY blog, and I can pretty much write what ever I wish (within limits, of course) I can't help but add my 2 cents.

In response to my May 28, 2009 blog post The Penguins Conspiracy Theory , a poster using the name, NHL Insider (which funny enough, didn't have any real blogger profile and was created June 2009) replied with this:

NHL Insider said...
Penguins fans who actually think their cup win is legit are the truly delusional ones!!!

Nevermind the schedule...the Malkin non suspension despite clear league rules...27% more PP opportunities than any other team after round 2, a 5 on 3 PP in OT vs PHI????? I could go on and on!
DISGUSTING!
June 20, 2009 1:59 AM

Now that is pretty funny stuff. However, I do beg to differ.

The schedule? Could this mean the regular season schedule, or the one for the Stanley Cup final, which is what I hinted at in the original blog post. Most likely. Please. All 30 teams play 82 games a season, and those making it to the playoffs have to win another 12 (and in most cases play more) to make it to the finals.

So if one team is a little more battered and bruised for whatever reason, how does that make any schedule lean to or against any particular team? Answer? It doesn't. Like I mentioned originally, Detroit was going to cry party foul over this if it didn't end their way. Get over it already.

As for Evgeni Malkin's suspension. Anyone that has read any kind of reports on that incident and have seen the written rule, knows that the NHL has the option of rescinding any kind of suspension.

Rule 47.22 states: “A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not be limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc...”

NHL punisher Colin Campbell said: “None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation. Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded.”

So in other words... get over that too.

As for the power play stats, really... who gives a flying fig? Anyone can manipulate any kind of statistic to suit their needs. I mean, come on. That's pretty much why I only pay only a fraction of attention to these statistics in the first place, and secondly you have to look at the source. If it's the opposing team, chances are they are giving you stats to make themselves look good, and you bad. The only ones I pay any attention to are the wins and loss and points, as far as I'm concerned those are the only ones that matter in the end.

Oh, and guess what? Here is my favorite statistic... Penguins defeat the Red Wings in 4 out of 7 games to win the Stanley Cup! Disgusting? I think not! Anyone who doesn't think this win is legit, give me some stone cold facts, anything else to me is just sour grapes.

Does this make me delusional? Not hardly. No one said being the best was gonna be easy, or that the first loser was going to be gracious in his defeat. Someone is always going to be there to knock you off your throne, and that's fine, that's how sports is supposed to be, a competition. But for the summer and up until next spring, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the NHL's Stanley Cup Champions!

1 comment:

Bro Brian said...

Dude...there's some serious ownage in this post. Haters can feel free to step off now 'cuz Lord Stanley is summering in western PA.