Friday, September 17, 2010

When real life and hockey collide

Summer has finally played it's swan song, the little darlings have skipped off to school, and all too soon the puck will be dropped on glistening sheets of ice across North America.

Am I anxious, you bet. I have been for a couple months now.

My summer off from hockey was uneventful for the most part, so the fact that I'm ready for it all to start up again goes without saying. But to be honest, what does one do when their hockey "life" interferes with their real life.

I'm guessing you just adjust, but darn... what a drag.

Within the last week I have begun working after going for the last 10 years without a job. (other than being my husbands wife, which in and of itself can be a full time job and then some!) And besides that fact we had house guests for about 10 days, and I am finally starting to catch up with things that became undone during that time.

Thankfully during all this there has been no hockey to miss! My work schedule as of yet will probably be irregular and my husband brought it to my attention a few days ago that "what if I might miss some games?".

Talk about sucking the wind out of my sails.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed my work schedule and the Penguins schedule don't collide. What horror it would be to have a late starting west coast game, and having to be at work at 6am the next morning! But working in retail, you're a slave to the consumers, and as such you're there when you're needed. Le sigh.

So, we shall see how well a hockey obsessed woman can balance her priorities... that being family, work, and hockey... For crying out loud, cross your fingers for me, would you? I do not multi task well!

<3 Penguins

1 comment:

dogfacedgremlin said...

One of the many, albeit thousands, of reasons I bolted from retail after 9 years. I missed Sunday football, evening hockey games, and the last two games of the Stanley Cup finals four years in a row.

Good luck to you though. Being a homemaker is a full time job but you haven't seen anything until you have to deal with the "general" public all day.